SERVICES AND PROFESSIONALS
Sites You Might Find Useful
It takes a village to take care of an elder. Here are some other helpful sites that our families have found useful.
POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) is an approach to improving end-of-life care in the United States, encouraging doctors to speak with patients and create specific medical orders to be honored by health care workers during a medical crisis.
POLST is not for everyone; only patients with serious illnesses or frailty should have a POLST form. For these patients, their current health status indicates the need for standing medical orders for emergent or future medical care. For healthy patients, an advance directive is an appropriate tool for making future end-of-life care wishes known to loved ones.
IMPORTANT! This information is meant to be used only for general information, in accordance with current medical information and the practice experience of this geriatrician and should never be used alone, outside of the medical advice of one’s personal physician.
- Visit our Medications page
- Drugs to Avoid in Patients with Dementia
- Drugs to Avoid in the Elderly
- Drug Interaction Tools
- Why Do Patients in Acute Care Hospitals Fall? Can Falls Be Prevented?
- Morse Fall Scale for Identifying Fall Risk Factors
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
Elder Abuse: Physical, Financial and Emotional
- Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation (EIFFE) Prevention Program
- Elder Abuse Task Force – Santa Clara County, CA – Manual: “Elder Abuse—Guidelines for Professional Assessment and Reporting”
- Legal Assistance for Seniors, Elder Abuse Conference
- Money Woes Can Be Early Clue to Alzheimer’s
- The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
- The National Center for the Victims of Crime
- The National Consumers League’s Fraud Center
- National Center of Elder Abuse (acl.gov)
- Administration on Community Living
- California Health Advocates/Senior Medicare Patrol
Phone Based Programs
Transportation Options in the Bay Area
- Please see our Transportation page
- Delirium or Dementia – Do you know the difference? from Crisis Prevention Institute
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Heart Association
- Center for Gerontology at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Foster City Village
- The Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP)